By the time 5 o’clock rolls around in the evening, I’m tired and usually not in the mood to spend a long time in the kitchen cooking dinner. I like to make easy recipes that are warm and filling and that my family will all enjoy. I discovered this burrito casserole recipe several years ago and it’s been a family favorite since. It takes about 15 minutes to put together and another 20 minutes in the oven, so you can have dinner ready in under an hour.
I know many people aren’t fans of using the cream of … soups in their cooking but I use them occasionally and this recipe does use one can. You can use cream of mushroom or cream of chicken (and maybe even cream of potato, though I haven’t tried it).
I know that the picture may not look too appetizing but I promise this casserole tastes delicious. You could serve it with a salad (gotta get those veggies in!) or some salsa or avocado dip and tortilla chips. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try and your family enjoys it as much as mine.
- 1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 1 packet taco seasoning or [url href=”http://theysmell.com/the-best-taco-seasoning-recipe-ever/” target=”_blank”]2 T homemade[/url]
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 lb. lean hamburger
- 4 – 6 tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 pkg (2 cups) shredded Mexican cheese
- Mix your cream of soup and sour cream together in a bowl, set aside.
- Brown your lean hamburger and drain.
- Add the water and taco seasoning to the hamburger.
- Stir in the refried beans and let simmer for a minute, then remove from heat.
- Spread half of the sour cream mixture into a casserole dish (I use a round Pyrex).
- Tear up tortillas (I use 2-3 depending on the size) and layer on top of sour cream mixture.
- Spoon half of meat mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese. (any kind of cheese will work).
- Repeat layers once more with the cheese being the top layer.
- Bake at 375 for 15 – 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly on top.