May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month and today I’m sharing ways to reduce allergens in your home to make it a safer place for your family and friends.
We have two cats and two dogs that live in our home. Having four indoor pets makes keeping up with the allergens in our home even more difficult. We also happen to live in the middle of the woods which means there is more pollen in the air because of all of the trees and foliage. Over the years we’ve learned some good ways to reduce allergens in your home, so here are our tips…
Ways To Reduce Allergens in Your Home
- Take your shoes off at the door. Believe it or not, you can carry in pollen and other nasty allergens in on your shoes! So taking them off either in the garage before coming in or right inside the door can help prevent the allergens from being tracked all over your home. I purchased an inexpensive shoe mat to put right inside our back door to keep our shoes from being scattered all over the floor. You can find them at your local hardware store or Tractor Supply for around $5.
- Use a quality air purifier in your home. Air purifiers are good at keeping the dust, pollen and other allergens out of your air. Not only that, but they help keep odors down especially if you have indoor pets like we do.
- Use good cleaners like the new Bona Free & Simple® Hardwood Floor Cleaner. It is now certified and approved by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. This cleaner is made specifically for hardwood floors but there are plenty of good cleaners out there for the rest of your home that safely reduce the allergens in your home.
- Bathe and brush your indoor pets regularly. Doing this will help keep the pet dander down so that it’s not floating around in the air inside your home.
- Don’t forget the hard to reach surfaces when cleaning your home. Ceiling fan blades, the top of the cabinets and the top of the fridge are all good dust breeding grounds. Be sure to clean them regularly to keep extra dust out of your home.
Cleaning your home regularly with safe and effective cleaners such as the Bona Free & Simple Hardwood Floor Cleaner is the best way to reduce allergens in your home. I would recommend a routine for cleaning so that you can stay on top of it more easily. I clean my home five days a week (the kitchen every day) and take two days “off” so that I don’t get overwhelmed.
Bona Free & Simple Hardwood Floor Cleaner can be found at Lowe’s and Bed, Bath & Beyond. We picked our bottle up at Lowe’s for less than $10. It’s easy to use and works like a charm. It leaves my hardwood floors shiny and clean without harsh chemicals and strong odors. I love that it’s safe to use with my indoor pets running around!
You can visit Bona online today and sign up for the Bonafide Fanatics Mailing List to get a coupon for $3 off your next Bona floor care purchase.
Tell me, do you have a routine for cleaning your home?